Laminate flooring is not only durable but a piece of cake when it comes to its maintenance. You can enjoy years of beautiful natural wood-like flooring from your laminate flooring. All you need is a few tips and the know-how on how to take care of your laminate flooring. NB: it’s very easy.
For your regular everyday sprucing up, you can vacuum or sweep the floor using a soft bristle broom. Pay attention to corners and areas under appliances where dust and dirt tends to accumulate. For general cleaning, slightly damp mopping is preferred while taking care not to use excessive moisture. Alternatively, you can sprinkle MoHawk’s Floor Care Essentials Hardwood and Laminate Cleaner onto your microfiber mop, piece of cotton or terry cloth. Be sure not to use any water based or liquid cleaners when carrying out your wet-mopping as these can seep into the floorboards and cause warping.
During high temperature seasons, close the blinds or cover the windows with UV protecting gear to negate fading of your laminate flooring. Moreover, ensure that you rearrange your appliances or furniture occasionally so you’re flooring can age evenly. During the rainy season, avoid exposing your laminate flooring to moisture as much as possible.
Tips For Preventing Damage
- Ensure that you attack any grease spots or spills as soon as they occur. Allowing them to sit and dry makes it much harder to clear out. You can use MoHawk’s Floor Care Essentials Hardwood and Laminate cleaner for the stubborn stains that won’t come off with mild detergent.
- Carefully remove greasy stains such as paint, tar or oil using acetone based fingernail polish remover.
- For sticky substances like chewing gum or wax, carefully put ice on them for a few seconds. Doing this will harden them and make it easy to scrape them off using a credit card or flexible scraper. Take care not to scratch the laminate flooring. Using a slightly damp microfiber mop, wipe the area clean.
- If one or more of the boards is beyond repair, you can use Quick Step Unifix tool to replace the damaged boards. This will take a few minutes.
Tips On Extra Protection
Invest in highly durable protective pads and floor mats that you can place beneath heavy appliances and furniture for an extra cushioning. Also strategically place floor mats at the door way so that they can collect and trap any spills or stains that can be tracked to the laminate flooring from outside. Again, covering the floor with mats especially in high traffic rooms, helps limit the wear and tear in these areas.
- Don’t varnish, polish, wax, use soaps, and shine enhancers or detergents on laminate flooring.
- Don’t apply the laminate cleaner directly onto the laminate as it can leave a stain, instead spray it onto a microfiber mop or cotton and then wipe the floor.
- Avoid regularly mopping with water and mop up any spills immediately.
- Don’t clean appliances with steam cleaners, power cleaners or spray mops.
Also visit below related topic: